Affiliate Links fill the internet. You likely see them every day. Little underlined bits of texts on news stories, blog posts, and even in your email. You might hover your mouse over these links and see some crazy address that doesn’t seem to make sense. Chances are very high that this is an affiliate link.
What is an Affiliate
An affiliate is a person (or blog or website) that has an association with a product, service, or company. They promote that product, service, or company by adding links in their website to the partner company. In return for driving traffic to their affiliate partner, the affiliate is awarded a small percentage of any sale made once the visitor makes a purchase.
What Are affiliate links?
In order to uniquely identify an affiliate marketer, and keep track of his or her commissions earned, an affiliate link is a unique piece of code that helps track user interaction. These links contain embedded information such as:
- Where the click came from
- The affiliate identifier of the person/website/blog that is responsible for the link
- Perhaps a date/time stamp related to a cookie, also used for tracking.
Example of an affiliate link
Here is an example of an affiliate link. Hover your mouse over this text. You should see something like this at the bottom corner of your browser window: https://dotcomsecrets.com/go?affiliate_id=1489473&cf_affiliate_id=1489473&aff_sub=https%3A%2F%2Ffunnelhackerscookbook.com%2Ffh-cookbook%3Fcf_affiliate_id%3D1489473%26affiliate_id%3D1489473%26aff_sub%3D%26aff_sub2%3D%26nopopup%3Dtrue%26noautoplay%3Dtrue%26cookiepreview%3Dfalse&aff_sub2=&nopopup=true&noautoplay=false&cookiepreview=false
Well, this is an affiliate link. It will take you to a free book offer for a fantastic book to teach you how to make money online (really, great book, click the link and get
Link Tracker Links
Sometimes an affiliate marketer might use a link tracking service to convert a long affiliate link like the one above into something that is a bit more human readable. Here’s another example with this link, that offers users a class on how to learn to do ClickBank Affiliate Marketing. Again, hover over it and you should see this
This is a Bit.ly link. Bit.ly is a URL shortener that also provides some analytics data for their users. For example, when you click this link, Bit.ly records the date of the click and keeps track of how many times the link was clicked.
This is important for affiliate marketers because they will often use the same offer but will promote it via different methods. For example, they may have a great training class offer. They want to promote it on their website, through an email list, and on Facebook. Using 3 different tracking links, all pointing to the same destination page, they now have some added information above and beyond what they may get with Google Analytics, to determine if they are getting a better customer response from Avenue A vs. Avenue B or C.
Example affiliate links tracker data
Here is an example of some affiliate link tracking data gathered from a link I promoted in December using Bit.ly. If the picture is too small, you can click it to open up a
Can I make money online with affiliate links?
Absolutely. If you have a blog or website that has steady visitors, you can easily find affiliate products to promote your online business. there are many, many affiliate networks covering hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of products and services you can promote.
Some of the best affiliate programs
This blog post from Affiliate
- Huge selection, tons of products
- Well known
- A little bit of a hassle to set up but has great reporting
- One of the biggest affiliate networks
- Decent variety of products
- Digital products
- Good reporting and payouts
- Lots of online products
- Affiliate Marketing products
- Making money online products
- High end, and quality, products
- Lots of software and e-commerce offerings, in fact, it seems exclusively focused on digital products
- Cloud based
- More than 4000 global businesses available
- Well established affiliate network
- Easy to use and a simple sign-up process
- Includes Walmart.com
- Thousands of merchants that only allow affiliates through this platform
- Very easy to use
- Great selection and reporting
- If you like sports products, they have Fanatics and NFLShop.com
- An affiliate networks good for those just starting out
- Lots of categories and seller products to connect with
- Similar products and offering styles to JVZoo
- If you have products to sell, they can help you build a funnel
- Simple approval process and popular product rating system and reports
- Easy to use affiliate network
- Good Reports
- Very large so there is a lot to choose from
- Estimation tool used for earnings per click
Learn More About Affiliate Links
If you would like to learn more about affiliate links, affiliate companies, and affiliate marketing as a whole, consider joining ProfitsKit.com as a member. We offer exclusive training, and over-the-shoulder video training for premium members, of how to start your affiliate marketing business. You can even sign up a free member to try some things out below!